Just a minute ago, I read my sweet lil' friend Susan's blog post titled TEN THINGS I HATE ABOUT CHRISTMAS. Now if you don't know Susan, you may be raising an eyebrow. But I DO know her, and she's no hater! I told her I think she just doesn't feel comfy with all the changes people and time have made to this holiday. (NOTE: She did NOT ask my opinion. LOL! I gave it free of charge.) Anyway, what she said was VALID! And it made ME start thinking, "What do I hate about Christmas?" Hmmmm ... let's see. Okay - here's my list.
1. I hate that there are WAY too many people who have no one to exchange Christmas hugs with. Makes me want to run around the world, hugging EVERYONE!
2. I hate that some people believe it's the only time to give to or show compassion for people.
3. I hate that the season 'officially' ends so quickly.
4. I hate that $$ EVER factors in and makes some people see the holiday as a competition about buying bigger and better!
5. I hate that certain foods seem to be ONLY for the season. (I don't let that guide ME, tho'. I drink eggnog and eat decorated cookies anytime I get a chance! And trust me, I have the ample butt to PROVE it! HAHAHAHA! Or I should say, HOHOHO!)
6. I hate that I don't have a magic wand to wave over EVERYONE and make Christmas as marvelous to THEM as it is to ME!
NOW! What do I LOVE about the holiday? I will TRY to restrict myself to a FEW things!
1. I love the music! Yes! The SAME music everyone ELSE is complaining about! The carols played from late November through Dec. 25th in grocery stores, malls, etc. I sing with ALL of them. LOUDLY! I really DO!
2. I love how people are NICER to each other and how I can give a gift for no reason other than the time of year.
3. I love - oh, HOW I love - the smells! Christmas trees, wassail, cookies fresh from the oven ... hohoho!
4. I love giving!!!! And it's the ONLY time of the year I CAN give without people thinking I have some ulterior motive for it!
5. I love the cold weather. (Of course, I love it ANY time!)
6. I love familar old Christmas cartoons, movies, songs, books ...!
I could make this list go to 100-plus things but I'll stop before I DO let myself keep going. I guess I'm a weirdo, but I think this is the time of year when we get to CHOOSE to renew ourselves. We get to look at all the possibilities and opportunities to choose joy, and if we DO choose it, we get a chance to sit back and just ALLOW it to fill us! WHY do I love Christmas so much? I grew up in a house where it was only slightly MORE miserable than at any other time of year, yet I realized I STILL felt the magic. And I KNEW if I could feel magic above the pain and anger all around me, it must be a REALLY powerful holiday. So I ask YOU: What do YOU love about Christmas?